« Your #1 Financial Goal? Obtain an Employer 401k Match | Main | Saving for Your Retirement: The Roth IRA »



Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.


So if I filed an extension for 2010 taxes, I can still open an IRA and contribute $5000 this year by October 15, 2011 and then contribute another $5000 when I do the 2011 taxes in April 2012?

Tom Copeland



That's great news! Thanks!


My husband has his own 401k through his employer, and I want to set up an $5000 IRA for my self to save on taxes this year, how do I claim this? Under my business schedule C or on form 1040 or both?

Tom Copeland

Setting up an IRA is not a business expense, so it doesn't show up on Schedule C. If you set up a tax deductible IRA it will show up on Form 1040, line 32. If you set up a Roth IRA (non deductible), it won't show up on Form 1040.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)

Top Blog

  • Direct Capital Top Money Management Blog


  • Email Subscription

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner


Become a Fan