Here are some money-saving tips for family child care providers as posted on the Daycare.com family child care forum:
* Slash your utility bills (turn off lights, unplug unused appliances/electronics, cancel your land line, cut your cell plans)
* Sell a vehicle (if you have extras) to save on car insurance and maintenance
* Use Costco or Sam's Club to buy in bulk and save
* Check out ideas on Money Saving Mom, The Peaceful Mom, Momswhosave.com
* "Wrap a large rubber band around the pump of a soap bottle. When the child presses the pump to get a squirt of soap, it only down half-way, dispending the perfect amount. Now my soap bottles last twice as long." "I refill all my foaming pumps with 1/2 soap and 1/2 hot water and shake.
* "I let my parents know if there are craft or curriculum supplies I need for the upcoming month. They are happy to help out. Whenever kids are bored with toys or activities my parents bring toys from home that they've outgrown and donate them to us."
* Don't eat out. Shop for food from a list. Cook from scratch and freeze.
*"I calculated that by not using my dishwasher for anything other than a drying rack, my power bill went down by a whopping $40 a month." "I never let my dishwasher run the dry cycle, open the door and let them dry."
* Buy coupons off Ebay
"Do without. Tough it out. Get back to basics. I am a vegan and used to buy the really good quality protein powders, patties, etc. to keep me healthy. I have since switched to PB sandwiches, bananas, and a basic vegan protein powder. Being a vegan is cheaper than being a carnivore:)""I have lived 'bare bones' as a single mother for so long I've continued on even now that I am remarried and my husband makes great money. If you learn to live on less, when you do have more you have waaaay more and end up with a hefty savings in no time flat."
An extra income idea:
"I don't have children in the summer, so I petsit at my house. I only take one pet at a time, advertise on Craigslist, and always get money up front. I charge $30 per day and pet owners never argue my rates. Pets must be housebroken and good with children."
What are your money saving ideas?
Tom Copeland - www.tomcopelandblog.com
Image credit: www.nicholsfoodservice.com